finding ....

Lennart Augustsson lennart@augustsson.net
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 02:18:05 +0100

Just because many applications use this doesn't make it safe or good.
Presumably you are testing for the existence of the file to do something
to it (read, create, delete...).  It's better to do the operation you want to
do and have it fail if the file is missing (or existing if you create).  You
then just have to handle the exception (that part is already in H98) or
proceed with the normal path.  I claim the code simpler this way and you
avoid any race conditions.

    -- Lennart