GMP from haskell

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel@botik.ru
Wed, 29 May 2002 15:09:53 +0400

> Hal Daume III <hdaume@ISI.EDU> writes:
>
> The gnu web page
> (www.gnu.org/manual/gmp-4.0.1/html_node/gmp_70.html) claims that Haskell
> (GHC) has bindings to GMP.  Is this true?  How can I access these
> routines?

Some Haskell systems mention that they use GMP to implement many
functions for Integer.
There are open-source libraries: GMP, and some others
(do not remember the names), written in C, implementing a lot of
mathematics, advanced algorithms and programs designed by expert
mathematicians, like say Lenstra.
For example, the factorization function for Integer, and useful
functions for algebraic numbers (if I recall correct) are available,
not only for Integer. The advantage is also that these methods win
many times in comparison to what the naive user writes in several
lines of one's Haskell program.
If the Haskell implementors take care of mathematician users, they
could consider the possibility to arrange the interface to these
functions and thus extend the library with many useful operations
items (mainly, not of Haskell-98 standard).

Serge Mechveliani
mechvel@botik.ru