You can finally run your Chameleon programs!

David Bergman davidb@home.se
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:46:56 -0500

Vincenzo,

I agree with your feeling of the expressive superiority of functional
programming compared to C and even C++, although I would not use the
word "hell" ;-)

Actually, there is a lot of advanced meta programming enabled in C++ due
to its rather powerful, but intricate, typing system in specializing and
instantiating templates, and the syntactic application of the "()"
operator. You should have a look at a library called Boost.MPL at
http://www.boost.org for some compile-time constructs resembling what
languages like Haskell can provide. In short, I think the expressiveness
of powerful type systems has caught on in the C++ community. So, maybe
one day the C++ developers take the next natural step and use Haskell
:-)

The reason that I bring this up is because I have implemented a Haskell
Prelude-like library for me and my development team in those "hellish"
cases where we need to express our ideas in C++, in that way promoting
the "declarative, abstract and typed" thought patterns to the regular
developer.

Regards,

David