nub

Alistair Bayley alistair@abayley.org
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 22:21:53 +0000

Sorry, meant to send this to the list, not Christian...

---- Original Message: From: Alistair Bayley  Sent: Wednesday 27 Nov 2002
20:32  Subject: Re: nub

Wouldn't this have been better called "unique"? (analogous to the Unix
program "uniq"). I was looking for a "unique" in the GHC Data.List library a
few days ago, and didn't see one, so I wrote my own (not realising that was
what "nub" did).

---- Original Message: From: Christian Maeder  Sent: Tuesday 26 Nov 2002
17:51  Subject: nub

> > What does "nub" stand for?  (This is the first I've heard of it.)
>
> Hmm, maybe that's not such a great explanation. I wonder who can come up
> with the best acronym? My contribution is
>
>         "Note Unique Bits"

"no duplicates" (or "no doubles") although that's no acronym

Christian