FW: Library infrastructure

Seth Kurtzberg seth@cql.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:15:41 -0700

Some comments,

The BSD ports system:

1.  Is intended for a completely different purpose and

2.  Has far too many bugs and problems.

On #2, I occasionally talk to people who say that the FBSD ports system works for them, but my own experience, and the experience of most of the people I've talked to about it, is that the quality is very variable and many packages simply refuse to install.  I did a quick test here and had problems with about 20% of the packages I tried.  Other similar systems such as the ports for Net and OpenBSD and emerge all have problems, in varying degrees but in my mind excessive.

Going back to #1, the purpose of systems like BSD ports is to handle the downloading, installation, build, and configuration of packages for an operating system.  How much of this is relevant to a language library?

One primary purpose of these systems is to make it possible for less sophisticated users to install and use O/S packages.  This certainly does not apply to users of a complex language such as Haskell, and those in the Haskell development community are not novices who need black box tools to hide the complexity of the software infrastructure.

By including automatic downloading, these systems seriously restrict your options as to format and configuration of download sites.  I think that is a restriction that is unwise for the situation under discussion.

I most certainly do _not_ want a tool that I invoke to install a library to, on the basis of automated dependencies, update other libraries to a later version (or, worse, downgrade to an earlier version).