PVM-free GpH

mgross@dorsai.org mgross@dorsai.org
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

I am pleased to be able to announce that the Metis Project at Brooklyn
College has been able to modify the gum RTS for ghc-5.02.3 so that it runs
without using PVM. We have verified operation under the Mosix clustering
system and are currently working on implementing a version that we will be
able to use for parallel execution on our Solaris machines. It is to be
expected that our code will run without modification on any Linux SMP.

While our code is still alpha (among other things, it generates numerous
annoying but harmless informational messages we hope will be soon be
silenced)  and we lack the resources to provide technical support, I will
be pleased to provide copies of our CVS repository to those who ask
(sorry, no anonymous CVS access at present). We would greatly appreciate
assistance in improving the code, and particularly in locating and fixing
the bug whose symptoms are either a failed assertion in the garbage
collector, or a message about improper packet packing.

Anyone who would like a copy of the CVS archive should send e-mail to
magross@its.brooklyn.cuny.edu. I will reply as soon as possible to arrange
for a transfer.

Murray Gross
Brookly College, City University of New York