[OT] Teaching Haskell in High School

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang@jeltsch.net
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 14:41:24 +0100

On Friday, 2003-02-07, 12:31, CET, Arjan van IJzendoorn wrote:
>[...]
> Yes, that does mean adding type classes, but not the whole machinery. I=
f we
> support Eq, Ord, Show and Num with a limited number of instances, chapt=
ers 1
> to 11 of Hudak's book can be used without modification.

I just have had a look at Helium and think that at least a deriving mecha=
nism=20
is absolutely needed. The need to write down obvious implementations for=20
equality is very disturbing, IMHO. Furthermore, I think, the need to stat=
e=20
equality functions explicitely as paramters of certain functions makes=20
learning harder and not easier.

But it's an interesting project. Keep going on it.

> [...]

Wolfgang