time since the epoch

Matthew Donadio m.p.donadio@ieee.org
Fri, 07 Feb 2003 13:13:30 -0500

Hi all,

I'm jumping into this a bit late, but I have some good info about time.
Two sites that I know about that have good tutorials and white papers
are

http://www.datum.com/res_technical.html
http://www.truetime.com/DOCSn/TTreferencematerial.html

In particlar, the paper "Timing and Time Code Reference Book" is very
interesting.  It explains several different time standards that are
currently used, and tells you why UTC needs leap seconds.

Pretty much the whole world runs on UTC.  All of the common time
distribution systems use UTC.  Technically, GPS doesn't, but the GPS
signal includes the correction to UTC.  I understand the argument for
using TAI.  Maybe internally the libray should use TAI, but default to
giving the user UTC?

--
Matthew Donadio (m.p.donadio@ieee.org)