Yet another weakly defined bug report

Ketil Z. Malde ketil@ii.uib.no
13 Feb 2003 10:17:28 +0100

ketil@ii.uib.no (Ketil Z. Malde) writes:

>   Prelude> :r
>   phase `Literate pre-processor' failed (exitcode = 1)

> I've no idea what trigged this, perhaps running out of file handles?

I forgot: GHC version 5.04.1.  It seems that this is definitely
trigged by running out of file handles, so apparently, I did have an
idea.

====

The following code runs out of file handles, so I am seeking
enlightenment as to why.

> -- | add data from a file to the histogram
> addFile :: FiniteMap String Int -> String -> IO (FiniteMap String Int)
> addFile fm name = do
> 		  x <- readFile name
> 		  return (addHist fm x)
>
> -- | add data from all files in a directory to the histogram
> addDir :: FiniteMap String Int -> String -> IO (FiniteMap String Int)
> addDir fm dir = do
> 		dc <- getDirectoryContents dir
> 		fs <- filterM doesFileExist (map ((dir++"/")++) dc)
> 		foldM addFile fm fs

Running addDir on a directory with few hundred files trigs it.
Shouldn't all of each file's contents be consumed by each addFile, and
thus the handle be released?

-kzm