Web Application Development

Dominic Steinitz dominic.steinitz@blueyonder.co.uk
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 10:52:59 -0000

I have summarised the responses I have received and cross posted this to
Haskell-Cafe in case anyone wishes to carry on the conversation.

> In a moment of weakness, I offered to help a friend develop a website.
It's
> a simple database application which carries out very little calculation
and
> then displays the results via HTML.
>
> The original code was in PHP and MySQL so rather than re-invent the wheel

> So my question is: what should I do to re-write this in Haskell?

1. SQL

1.a. MySQL

1.a.i Use MySQL-HS which requires the use of H/Direct. Available via
www.haskell.org.

1.a.ii Use
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/hbase/Source/Foreign/. This
is pre-alpha.

1.b Oracle

1.b.i Use C2HS and libsqlora8 (a simple C library for interfacing to Oracle
http://www.poitschke.de/libsqlora8/). There is no publicly available code.

1.c Database Independent

1.c.i Use the DBI model as found in Perl and the libpq binding as listed on
Haskell.org (http://www.astercity.net/~khaliff/haskell/dbi/dbi.tgz). This
currently has a PostgreSQL binding but is not listed on SourceForge.

1.c.ii Use the code at http://sourceforge.net/projects/htoolkit/. This is
planning (that is pre pre-alpha). There appear to be bindings for MySQL,
ODBC and PostgreSQL.

2. HTML

I have tried out Wash/CGI and this seems satisfactory for my purposes at the
moment.

Many thanks to everyone who replied, Dominic.