Theme One Project

Jon Awbrey jawbrey@oakland.edu
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 17:40:56 -0500

o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o~~~~~~~~~o

My name is Jon Awbrey.  I have returned to university in my 50's
to work on a doctorate in systems engineering and also to "capstone"
a few old projects that I did not get to finish up in my last millennium.
In the process I have dug up one of my old unfinished programming symphonies
that I thought I might offer to the Haskell community as a potentially
interesting exercise or project, since one of the things that I was
trying to do there was to transpose Pascal into a functional style.
The main idea of the program is to integrate an "empiricist"
learning algorithm (working on 2-level formal languages)
with a "rationalist" reasoning algorithm (working at
the level of propositional calculus).  It implements
(what I used to think of as) some pretty radical
graph-theoretic data structures, extending some
ideas of C.S. Peirce on graphical syntaxes
for propositional logic.  (I had started
this somewhat before Conceptual Graphs
hit the streets.)

I have begun documenting this work in a detailed way at the
following list site, dedicated to this and related purposes:

http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/

You can also get the postings in newsgroup format from Gmane:

http://gmane.org/
http://news.gmane.org/
http://news.gmane.org/thread.php?group=gmane.comp.inquiry

The Pascal source code is here:

01.  http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-March/000115.html
02.  http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-March/000116.html
03.  http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-March/000117.html
04.  http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-March/000118.html
05.  http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/2003-March/000119.html

And I will send the Exe file to anybody who wants it.

Jon Awbrey