Announce: Hircules 0.1 IRC client released

Jens Petersen jens@juhp.dyndns.org
15 May 2003 17:12:28 +0900

Hello,

I am pleased to announce the first release of Hircules,
an IRC client written in Haskell. It uses gtk2hs for the UI.
The present code evolved from Lambdabot 1.0 by Andrew Bromage et al.
(I hope it will be possible to factor out a nice IRC library from
Lambdabot and Hircules, to avoid duplication of code and effort --
certainly I can see plenty of improvements that could be made in
the structuring and code of Hircules.)

Hircules is still quite basic in terms of features, and though
I think it can be used for basic chatting, I would describe it as
alpha quality software. It supports channel tabs, a raw irc tab
and an all channel tab. It is also possible to use lambdabot
extension modules, though by default most of them are disabled
currently.

The source code and rpms can now be downloaded from:

	http://haskell.org/hircules/

Give it a try if you can!  Comments on the design, bug reports, rfe's,
contributions, etc are most welcome.  I hope to have a cvs repository
up soon to make it more accessible.

Cheers, Jens