Licensing of Haskell code

Ken Shan ken@digitas.harvard.edu
Mon, 19 May 2003 14:08:29 -0400

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On 2003-05-19T10:20:01-0400, Mark Carroll wrote:
> I should mention to contributors to the Haskell community that the precise
> licensing of their code can matter a lot.
>=20
> It matters which particular "opensource" licence you pick, so review them
> and choose carefully, based on your beliefs and ideals.

Thanks for the reminder!  The following summary of the
goals underlying various licenses might also help:
http://www.dina.dk/~abraham/rants/license.html

> It would be really great if it were somehow easy for Haskell developers to
> be easily able to check the licensing status of various bits of code -
> tools, libraries, etc. - that their software uses, or that they are
> thinking of having it use. It's not too hard to look into now, but after
> the Haskell community and hierarchical libraries have grown much more I
> don't know if one might wish that something had been built in early on
> that somehow eases semi-automated checking.

I agree.  It seems that even just making sure that every file contains a
copyright statement would help.

--=20
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
http://weblog.holopedia.org/