IO monad and lazy evaluation

Elke Kasimir elke@espresto.com
Fri, 23 May 2003 14:03:47 +0200 (CEST)

On 22-May-2003 Glynn Clements wrote:
> The problem isn't monads, or lazy functions, or even the interactions
> between them. The problem is specifically lazy I/O, which is basically
> a fudge which usually works in simple cases.
>
> The "normal" (i.e. strict) I/O functions are perfectly safe.

Since Haskell is lazy by default, I consider lazy file reading to be the more
natural choice, and also a safe one on operating systems like unix who lock a
copy of the file at the time it's opened, and given that such a copy almost
always does not come at such a high cost. Unfortunately, the number of file hand
les is sometimes limited so that one is sometimes forced to close lazily read
files explizitly which is rather tedious...

Elke Kasimir.

--
Elke Kasimir                             EsPresto AG
- Software Development-                Breite Str. 30-31