Haskell for non-Haskell's sake

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:15:24 +0200

Since the opening of this thread by Hal Daume 11 (binary), we see a constant
flow of interesting contributions/confessions. Plenty of applications, it
seems that Haskell is really used in a wider context than we might think.
It is a pleasure to read all this.

I have just one question thus. Why the application-oriented papers devoted
to Haskell at ICFP, including the Haskell workshop are rather rare?

People are reluctant to contribute, or the reviewers are not so fascinated?

(Well, it happened once to me, but it had *nothing to do with Haskell*, and
nothing to do with ICFP, just some other workshop, elsewhere. Simply a BTW
remark. One reviewer wrote: "this is just an application work, not a scientific
paper". Presumably this reviewer has his particular visions what a science is,
but I don't believe that such people dominate in the milieu of FPL. I believe
that it would be interesting to organize some workshops on "practical"
applications of functional programming...)

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France