proving the monad laws

Steffen Mazanek steffen.mazanek@unibw-muenchen.de
Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:33:34 +0200

Hello,

thank you for the idea of using variables directly to see what happens.
This is really a simplification for the proof.
At first I thought that there should be a simpler solution and I tried to
modify your approach, so that it applies to >>= as well, but now I am
convinced :-) I have downloaded the paper of Filinski "Representing
Monads" to take a look at the definition directly. It seems to be
interesting
for me, but deterringly difficult as well :-(
Would it be possible to write a piece of Haskell code which checks
the monadic laws automatically by simulating evaluation in this way?
Maybe a little theoretical section in the monad tutorial which deals
with this stuff would be a help as well.

Iavor, I am really happy, that this monad is working :-) Never touch
a running system or try to make it more difficult as it is! These monad
transformers are still a red rag to me. Nevertheless thank you.

Ciao,
Steffen