echoing of getChar, getLine, getContents

Peter Thiemann thiemann at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Mon Sep 22 12:06:51 EDT 2003

The report states about getChar, getLine, and getContents:

"By default, these input functions echo to standard output."

In version 1.3 of the report, it used to continue
"Functions in the I/O library provide full control over echoing."

Apparently, this has been removed and the I/O library contains
neither facilities to control echoing nor a specification of what the
h-cousins hGetChar, hGetLine, and hGetContents are supposed to do wrt
echoing. Can I rely on them not to echo their inputs?

-Peter