[Haskell] Re: sizeFM type

Serge D. Mechveliani mechvel at botik.ru
Mon Apr 26 09:48:11 EDT 2004

Alexander is right.

Also as  Integer  has more sense than  Int,
I would suggest for the future standard Haskell library to have
Integer as default. For example:
                                length      :: [a] -> Integer
                                smallLength :: [a] -> Int
-----------------
Serge Mechveliani
mechvel at botik.ru

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 03:18:20PM -0400, S. Alexander Jacobson wrote:

>[..]
> Dell's Poweredge servers address up to 32GB of
> memory today!  There are already 5.7 billion
> people on the planet (>2^31) and 741 million phone
> lines.  In my mind, there is NO QUESTION that 2^31
> keys is a reasonable size for a FiniteMap or will
> be in the very very near future.
>
> Moreover, it is not clear that the CPU/memory
> overhead of returning Integer rather than Int for
> sizeFM is sufficiently high to be worth bothering
> the programmer about.

On Sun, 2004-04-25  Serge D. Mechveliani wrote to
glasgow-haskell-users