[Haskell] Force evaluation

Ben Rudiak-Gould Benjamin.Rudiak-Gould at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 7 09:01:09 EST 2004

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk wrote:

 >The version with () does less redundant forcing, although the compiler
 >could perhaps optimize them statically.

I did some tests with both versions in GHC on a large binary tree and
they appear to have the same performance (even without -O), so I guess
GHC does do this.

There's another problem with the a->a version, which is that it's never
tail recursive, though perhaps GHC's optimizer can fix that as well.

I imagine the a->() version is more likely to compile to good code, but
it bothered me that it had such a strange type. But a->a isn't the right
type either. In fact I think the right type is (a -> exists b. b). This
gets us the best of both worlds in efficiency and conciseness/elegance:

    instance (Force a, Force b) => Force (a,b) where
      force (x,y) = force x `seq` force y

    instance Force Int where
      force x = x

Too bad no Haskell implementation supports it.

-- Ben