[Haskell] RE: Hugs/GHC incompatibility

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Feb 3 10:22:49 EST 2004

hi,
i am speculating here, but i guess that if double initializations were to
result in _|_ one would have to check if a cell has already been
initialized,
and if so replace it with _|_.
currently ghc probably simply overwrites the array elements.
i personally prefer ghc's behavior.
-iavor

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>Am Dienstag, 3. Februar 2004 18:17 schrieb Simon Peyton-Jones:
>

>>>I think, I've found the problem. GHC seems to not implement
>>>Data.Array.array correctly. The implementation doesn't adhere to the
>>>following sentence from the Data.Array.IArray.array documentation: If any
>>>two associations in the list have the same index, the value at that index
>>>is undefined.
>>>
>>>Could this be fixed?
>>>

>>[...]
>>

>>We don't intend to fix this because fixing it will have a significant
>>overhead on every array construction.
>>

>Sorry, but I don't see where the overhead should come from.
>

>>[...]
>>

>>Simon
>>

>Wolfgang

| Iavor S. Diatchki, Ph.D. student               |
| Department of Computer Science and Engineering |
| School of OGI at OHSU                          |
| http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~diatchki               |