[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: HsUnix 1.0.1 - Haskell for Unix Shell Scripting

Tomasz Zielonka t.zielonka at students.mimuw.edu.pl
Mon Feb 9 12:49:28 EST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 09:36:16PM +0100, Volker Wysk wrote:
> Features
> --------
>
> Command Line Arguments Parser
>     HsUnix has facilities for managing command line arguments, which are
>     (hopefully) easier to use than the GHC library GetOpt. Command line
>     arguments are described in lists of properties. HsUnix builds on top
>     of GetOpt, but hides it completely. Command line arguments handling
>     has been added because GetOpt was found to be too cumbersome.

I found GetOpt to be convenient when used properly. I would be
interested to hear your comment on my article:
  http://tinyurl.com/23ya4

> Error Handling
>     Error handling is one thing which is done much more thoroughly in
>     HsUnix than in shells. Failed programs won't be silently ignored.
>     Dynamic exceptions are used for error handling. Non zero exit codes
>     are thrown as exceptions.

Most sh derivaties have -e set option, which causes the shell to (taken
from FreeBSD sh man page):

  -e errexit
    Exit immediately if any untested command fails in non-interactive
    mode.  The exit status of a command is considered to be explic-
    itly tested if the command is used to control an if, elif, while,
    or until; or if the command is the left hand operand of an ``&&''
    or ``||'' operator.

I use it almost always in my shell scripts.

Best regards,
Tom

--
.signature: Too many levels of symbolic links