[Haskell] GHC 64bit?

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at i2x.com
Fri Feb 13 12:05:16 EST 2004

Dell's poweredge server with the max 12gb RAM costs $15k.
Moore's law says that
1. you only need an extra bit/year.
2. processing that extra bit will cost 50% less next year

Though perhaps processing time is not linear with
the number of bits for historical/architectural
reasons....?

I presume that, if we are conservative in the
number of bits we use then we don't run into the
ptr driven storage problem that Axel described.

In particular, if we need only 2 or 4 times as
much memory, we should only grow pointers by 1 or
2 bits...rather than growing immediately all the
way to 64...

Perhaps there could be a command line option to
specify desired ptr size.  I assume it is
impossible to adjust pointer size dynamically at
runtime depending on memory consumption (I
assume you would do it at garbage collection time
if it were possible).

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson                  mailto:me at alexjacobson.com
tel:917-770-6565                       http://alexjacobson.com