[Haskell] regular expression syntax - perl ain't got nothin on haskell

Graham Klyne GK at ninebynine.org
Tue Feb 24 09:01:46 EST 2004

At 18:07 23/02/04 -0800, John Meacham wrote:
>It provides regular and monadic versions, a very overloaded and useful
>interface, as well as extensibility. although currently the only
>instance  is based on Text.Regex, it generalizes to matching lists of
>arbitrary type, not just strings, and also leaves the door open for
>compile-time checked and optimized regular expressions via template
>Haskell.

I have a concern here that I hope you won't see as a negative response to
your ideas...

I recently ran into some problems porting some Haskell code to Windows
because it used the Text.Regex library, which is dependent on a Unix-only
system.  If Haskell is to embrace the use of Regexes to a level comparable
with (say) Perl, I think it is important that the underlying library is
available on all platforms on which Haskell is supported, or I fear that a
large swathe of Haskell support libraries will be unavailable to programs
running on Windows.

So my point would be that, to be most useful to the Haskell community, your
effort should also be supported by a Text.Regex implementation (or
alternative) for Windows systems.

#g