[Haskell] regular expression syntax - perl ain't got nothinon haskell

Per Larsson per at L4i.se
Tue Feb 24 16:04:10 EST 2004

On Tuesday 24 February 2004 15.25, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
> Per Larsson wrote:
>  > .. I have since long missed some
> >
> > typical text processing functionality in haskell.
>
> it is often the case that people process "text"
> only because they have no better (structured and typed) way of
> representing their data...

I agree with your point in the general case. For serious parsing and pretty
printing tasks there are great haskell libraries like Parsec and PrettyPrint.
But I can't see why the haskell user shouldn't also have access to concise
text processing notations, e.g. regular expressions and printf, to be used
in, e.g. short script-like programs?

Cheers
Per