[Haskell] regular expression syntax - perl ain't got nothin on haskell

Peter Achten peter88 at cs.kun.nl
Tue Feb 24 16:55:12 EST 2004

At 16:33 24-2-04 +0100, Johannes Waldmann wrote:
>Per Larsson wrote:
>
>>But I can't see why the haskell user shouldn't also have access to
>>concise text processing notations, e.g. regular expressions and printf,
>
>I was not implying it should be forbidden,
>rather I meant to give a reason why text processing
>seems to be less common in typical Haskell programs.
>
> > to be used in, e.g. short script-like programs?
>
>sure. but why do we need text processing in scripting?
>because the usual OS shells have `string' as their only data type.
>we better change that :-) anyone for a fully typed Haskell shell?

I am sorry, but I couldn't resist answering your question: have a look at
Arjen van Weelden's Famke system [1,2], who has done exactly that (in Clean):

Regards,
Peter Achten

[1] Arjen van Weelden and Rinus Plasmeijer. Towards a Strongly Typed
Functional Operating System. In Peña, R. ed. Proceedings 14th International
Workshop on the Implementation of Functional Languages, IFL 2002, Selected
Papers, Madrid, Spain, September 16-18, 2002, Springer Verlag, LNCS 2670.
ftp://ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/Clean/papers/2003/vWeA2003-Famke.pdf

[2] Arjen van Weelden and Rinus Plasmeijer. A Functional Shell that
Dynamically Combines Compiled Code. Submitted to Selected Papers Review of
Proceedings 15th International Workshop on the Implementation of Functional
Languages, IFL 2003, Edinburgh, Scotland, September 8-10, 2003
ftp://ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/Clean/papers/2003/vWeA2003-Esther.pdf