Large programs in Hugs-2003 on Windows

Graham Klyne gk at ninebynine.org
Mon Jan 5 12:37:33 EST 2004

I've just run into a problem with Hugs-2003 on Windows, where I get the
following message:
[[
ERROR "D:\Cvs\DEV\HaskellRDF\N3FormatterTest.hs" - Program code storage
space exhausted
]]

(This is attempting to load a consolidated test harness, so there genuinely
is a lot of Haskell code here, for all the unit test cases.)

A look around the web suggests that this is due to a predefined limit in
Hugs, which requires a recompilation to change.  I'm in the process of
downloading the source, to look at this.  But meanwhile, I have three
questions:
- am I right, or am I overlooking an option to allow larger programs?  (I
tried increasing the heap.)

Assuming I am right:

- does anyone already have a build of Hugs for Windows that can handle
larger programs, available for download?  (I use the console version,
rather than WinHugs -- I tried WinHugs, but that just throws up unexpected
syntax errors.)

- can anyone point me to instructions for building Hugs on Windows using a
freely available compiler?  (I have only very old versions of the Microsoft
C development software.)

#g