Use of tab characters in indentation-sensitive code

Stefan Holdermans sholderm at students.cs.uu.nl
Sat Jan 24 22:41:44 EST 2004

Sean,

> Why has HTML been out for many many years, and yet
> programming languages still use plain ASCII text exclusively?
>  Don't we have similar needs as other electronic document
> manipulators?

Mmm ... I don't like that idea too much. And that's for a rather obvious
reason actually: writing HTML/XML means *lots of typing*. If I had to choose
between a language that relies on identation and one that relies on explicit
markup tags, I guess I'd pick the former since a less verbose language
allows for higher productivity and more readability.

However, IMHO a language that does not rely on any markup (line breaks,
indentation) at all is even more preferrable.

Regards,

Stefan