[Haskell] Implicit parameters

Iavor S. Diatchki diatchki at cse.ogi.edu
Wed Jun 9 17:32:25 EDT 2004

hi,
i don't think this is a bug, and this is a situation where it matters
if you use ($) or parens.  the same probelm occurs when you work
with polymorohism, rank-2 and above, e.g. when you use runST.
the problem occurs because ($) has a monomorphic (non-overloaded)
type:
($) :: (a -> b) -> (a -> b)
now consider the type of runST (same example applies to your problem
bellow, but with constraints)
runST :: (forall s. ST s b) -> b

now if we were to apply ($) to runST, we must make sure that
the type of runST is at least as polymorphic as what is required by ($),i.e.
(forall s. ST s b) -> b <= a -> b
(type on the left should be _more_ polymorphic, i.e. has _less_ elements
hence the notation)
the above would be true, if
1. b <= b      (which is ok)
2. a <= forall s. ST s b  (which is not ok, as "a" is an arbitry
_monomorphic_ type, and is not more polymorphic then a schema)

hope this helps, for details on the polymorphism & subtyping you may
take a look at a number of papers
over the past few years.  there are some on simon pj's page i forget the
exact title, but it is easy to find.

-iavor