[Haskell] Re: About Random Integer without IO

Keean Schupke k.schupke at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Nov 12 07:56:04 EST 2004

I am sorry, but you are wrong. You cannot programmatically generate a
sequence of random numbers - this is a mathematical fact and has nothing
to do with discussions about brains and turing machines.

Secondly the 'ergodic' functions you describe _will_ produce the same
sequence every time they are calculated unless the seed is different
(also an indisputable mathematical fact)

The only way to get 'randomness' into a functional program it through IO
(fact).

Pseudo random numbers are stateful, you do (in kind of pseudo code):

    random :: Seed -> (Number, NewSeed)

So at the end of the day you have two choises, propogate a seed, or do
IO. As for getting your seed, well it is either a constant or the result
of IO.

Actually pseudo random number generators are not sufficently random for
good cryptography, which is why linux provides /dev/random. This is the
result of statistics collected from real world  events - so you can see
this problem is not limited to haskell but to all programming languages.
If you want randomness in 'C' you have to seed the generator as well.

    Keean.