[Haskell] elementary tracing for Haskell

Philip Wadler wadler at inf.ed.ac.uk
Sun Oct 10 12:40:07 EDT 2004

Are there any tools for beginning programmers that give traces of
Haskell programs?  I want something like the following.  Given the
defintion

	sum [] = 0
	sum (x:xs) = x + sum xs

typing

	sum [1,2,3]

should yield this trace

	sum [1,2,3]
	1 + sum [2,3]
	1 + 2 + sum [3]
	1 + 2 + 3 + sum []
	1 + 2 + 3 + 0
	1 + 2 + 3
	1 + 5
	6

I know there are advanced tools like Hat, but (unless I'm missing
something) they don't yield anything as naive as the above, and it's
naive users I'm trying to help here.  -- P

PS.  Google search on "Haskell trace" yields lots on Hat, plus the
following.

The Mystery of Brigadier General Harry L. Haskell
... we have developed a short biography of General Haskell and been
able to trace the
  locations where he lived, and, possibly, how the medal came into my
family. ...
  family.phelpsinc.com/branches/haskell/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

Philip Wadler, Professor of Theoretical Computer Science
School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh
JCMB, Mayfield Road, Edinburgh EH9 3JZ SCOTLAND
+44 131 650 5174 http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/wadler/