[Haskell] HaXML incorrect interpretation of XML spec!

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Thu Oct 28 00:44:12 EDT 2004

I modified the Prolog type to be

   data Prolog = Prolog (Maybe XMLDecl) [Misc] (Maybe DocTypeDecl) [Misc]

and then modified the Prolog parser (which
actually was correct) to actually use the misc
values in constucting the Prolog.  I replace the
prolog function in pretty.hs with

   prolog (Prolog x m1 dtd m2) = maybe xmldecl x $$
				 vcat (map misc m1) $$
				 maybe doctypedecl dtd $$
				 vcat (map misc m2)

and did a few more similar things in
Haskell2XML and XML2Haskell (about a 5 min
operation) and it all seems to work properly.

Implementation question: Why is there so much
replicated code in HaXML/Html (parse.hs and
pretty.hs)

Given that this fix was so very easy and given
that the parser was already spec consistent, I now
have to assume that there was good reason for the
Prolog to be spec inconsistent, but I don't know
what it is...

Thoughts?

-Alex-