[Haskell] Applicative translucent functors in Haskell

Chung-chieh Shan ccshan at post.harvard.edu
Wed Sep 8 14:02:23 EDT 2004

On 2004-09-08T16:27:23+0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:
> You might want to show it to Derek Dreyer and other ML module experts.

I'm trying; I'm trying. (:

On 2004-09-08T19:46:55+0200, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> How about named fields in type constructors? Something like Haskell's
> records but at type level. Seems like a fun extension ;)

I do believe that the potential exponential blowup in expressing sharing
constraints is an issue that needs to be addressed in practice, and
that named fields in type constructors (in other words, record kinds)
would be the main part of the solution.  Section 5.1 of my paper
(http://www.eecs.harvard.edu/~ccshan/xlate/) has some discussion and
pseudocode.  Comments are greatly appreciated of course!

	Ken

--
Edit this signature at http://www.digitas.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/ken/sig
"[Programming] Languages shape the way we think, or don't." -- Eric Naggum