[Haskell] Re: ANNOUNCE: The jhc Haskell compiler.

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Apr 27 12:14:53 EDT 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 04:54:42AM -0700,
 John Meacham <john at repetae.net> wrote
 a message of 375 lines which said:

> There are still substantial issues which need to be overcome before
> jhc can be used for general Haskell programing

Do you plan to support ghc command-line flags? Because I tried to
compile darcs with jhc and it failed because darcs' configure file
uses specific flags:

checking for ghc... /home/bortzmeyer/tmp/jhc/jhc/jhc
checking where GHC keeps its libraries... unrecognized option `--print-libdir'
Usage: jhc [OPTION...] Main.hs

Or should I ask darcs' maintainer to consider supporting jhc? (It is
an issue I had when trying to maintain autoconf macros for Java: the
language is standard, not the compilers' options.)

> * It takes ridiculous amounts of memory and CPU. A gigabyte of RAM
> usage is not unheard of.

Confirmed :-{