[Haskell] ANNOUNCE: ghc-src version 0.2.0

Arthur Baars arthurb at cs.uu.nl
Tue Aug 30 07:04:36 EDT 2005

Daan is right, I wrote a parser for GHC using Doaitse Swierstra's
parsing combinator library
(http://www.cs.uu.nl/groups/ST/Software/UU_Parsing/index.html).
I needed a drop-in replacement for GHC's Happy parser, to make a
prototype for syntax macros. Syntax Macros allow a programmer to extend
a language with new syntax. Combinator based parsers parsers can be
dynamically extended, making them suitable for implementing syntax
macros.  Unfortunately, I never had time to really finish the syntax
macro implementation.

But I did finish the combinator based parser for GHC. I tested it by
having GHC( with combinator parser) compile itself and all the
libraries. This took about 10% longer than with the original GHC, so in
practice its speed is acceptable. The parser is really a drop-in
replacement for GHC 6.2.1. You only need to replace Parser.hs, add a
line to Lexer.x and to a Makefile.  I do not have time to maintain a
combinator based parser for GHC. So if you like, I can send you the
code.

Arthur