[Haskell] Call for participation: CUFP 2005

Andy Moran moran at galois.com
Thu Jul 28 11:40:33 EDT 2005

           IMPORTANT NOTE: Registration is now available at:
                http://www.cs.ioc.ee/tfp-icfp-gpce05/

                             CUFP 2005
                       THE SECOND ACM SIGPLAN
          COMMERCIAL USERS OF FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING WORKSHOP
                      http://www.galois.com/cufp/

                           Talinn, Estonia
                         September 24th 2005
                         Co-located with ICFP
                   http://www.brics.dk/~danvy/icfp05/

Important dates

Early registration deadline  July 29, 2005
Late registration deadline   September 2, 2005
Workshop                     September 24, 2005

Registration is available at:

http://www.cs.ioc.ee/tfp-icfp-gpce05

The goal of CUFP is to build a community for users of functional
programming languages and technology, be they using functional
languages in their professional lives, in an open source project
(other than implementation of functional languages), as a hobby,
or any combination
thereof.

In short: anyone who uses functional programming as a /means/, but not
an /end/.

Schedule

The meeting will last a full day, with a mix of invited presentations
and discussion sessions.

This year, we have the following confirmed speakers:

     * Atrijus Tang; talking about PUGS, a Perl6 implementation, written
       in Haskell;

     * Fabrice Le Fessant; talking about MLDonkey, a popular
       multi-platform, multi-network P2P client written in OCaml.

     * Michael Sperber; talking about uses of Scheme in the banking
       industry.

     * David Roundy; talking about darcs, a popular and flexible
       revision control system well-suited to highly distributed
       development, written in Haskell.

     * Jim Grundy; talking his experiences with functional programming
       at Intel's Strategic CAD Labs.

     * Robert Boone; talking about his experiences at FreeScale.

     * Jonathan Soebel; talking about lessons the FP community can learn
       from the OMG's Model Driven Architecture (MDA) and its related
       marketing efforts.

We will also be having two working sessions, where lively debate and
brainstorming will be the order of the day:

     * FP, Education, and Industry: industry folks complain that there
aren't enough FP folks being produced by schools, and educators
complain that students don't see any point in studying FP if there are
no jobs to be had. How can we break this stalemate? Simon Thompson of
Functional and Declarative Programming in Education (FDPE05) will be
joining us, and we'll be debriefing at FDPE05.

     * Stimulating a CUFP Community: we'd like the buzz and excitement
surrounding CUFP to persist beyond the workshops. What would such a
community look like? How do we make it happen? The session will kick
off with two separate but complimentary starting points: a proposed
"Users of FP" community web site and a proposed "Haskell Consortium"
web site.

There will be no published proceedings, as the meeting is intended to
be more a discussion forum than a technical interchange. A full report
of last year's workshop appeared in the Functional Programming column
of the December 2004 issue of SIGPLAN Notices, and we plan to do the
same this year.

--
Andy Moran                                   Phone: 503.626.6616, x113
Galois Connections Inc.                              Fax: 503.350.0833
Beaverton, OR 97005                                   moran at galois.com