[Haskell] translation of "kind"

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Mon Jun 20 08:30:14 EDT 2005

Am Montag, 20. Juni 2005 11:46 schrieben Sie:
> Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> > can anybody tell me what the German translation of the word "kind" as
> > used in type theory and especially in Haskell is?
>
> Even Peter Thiemann in "Grundlagen der funktionalen Programmierung"
> (1994) did not translate "Kind",

This is very bad IMO because of the existence of the German word "Kind" which
you also mention below which means child.

> although he used "geschönfinkelt" for "curry" (honoring logicians
> Schönfinkel and Curry)

This is crazy!  Someone who doesn't know Schönfinkel (as I did so far) may
think that "schönfinkeln" (which would be the infinitive) is a combination of
"schön" (nice) and a previously unknown word "finkeln" which is extremely
similar to... Hmm, Germans will know which word I think of. :-) :-)

> I'ld prefer "der Kind" (and avoid situtations that allowed confusion
> with "das Kind")
>
> Cheers Christian

Best wishes,
Wolfgang