[Haskell] Haskell version of Crystal Space 3D?

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 06:51:23 EDT 2005

On 6/21/05, Benjamin L. Russell <dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Does anybody know any Haskell tool(s) corresponding to
> Crystal Space 3D ( see
> http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-view_articles.php
> )?
>
> To quote from "About Crystal Space" ( see
> http://www.crystalspace3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=About+Crystal+Space
> ),
>
> "Crystal Space is a free (LGPL) and portable 3D Game
> Development Kit written in C++. It supports: true six
> degrees of freedom, colored lighting, lightmapped and
> stencil based lighting, shader support (CG, vertex
> programs, fragment programs, ...), mipmapping,
> portals, mirrors, alpha transparency, reflective
> surfaces, 3D sprites (frame based or with skeletal
> animation using cal3d animation library), procedural
> textures, particle systems, halos, volumetric fog,
> scripting (using Python, Perl, Java, or potentially
> other languages), 16-bit and 32-bit display support,
> OpenGL, and software renderer, font support (also with
> freetype), hierarchical transformations, physics
> plugin based on ODE, ... See the extensive list of
> features for more details."
>
> The reason that I ask is that I would like to learn
> how to write my own version of PlaneShift (a 3D
> fantasy MMORPG written using Crystal Space 3D) with
> Haskell, instead of C++, if possible.  However, I
> haven't been able to find any Haskell tools or
> libraries specific enough for this kind of project.

I haven't looked at Crystal Space in a while, but does it have some
sort of scripting interface? So you write a C++ class which implements
a ton of game-related functions that the game engine then calls to set
up the game etc., and in those member functions you can call Haskell
functions (via FFI).

I'll look into this more this coming fall, if it's possible, I will
write a Haskell scripting interface to Crystal Space then (I'm taking
a course which involves writing plugins to CS).

/S

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+46(0)736-818655