[Haskell] Embedded Systems

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Thu Mar 10 08:28:27 EST 2005

> >    I'm wondering if there is any port of Haskell to Embedded
> >    systems. Any hint welcomed
>
> nhc has been used for a number of embedded projects.
>
> Btw, you can run GHC on a machine with 12M ram, but you badly need your
> swap and it isn't pretty :)

Many years ago, I ported Gofer (the predecessor of Hugs) to run on an
embedded M68000 board with 768K of memory.  The program was compiled
on a host machine, and only the bytecode + runtime interpreter were
loaded to the embedded device itself, through an RS232 serial line.
In fact, it turned out the amount of memory was probably overkill -
256K would have been sufficient for the simple real-time systems I
was programming, a marble-sorter and a liftshaft controller.

More detail in my PhD thesis:
    Functional Programming and Embedded Systems
    ftp://ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/malcolm/thesis.html

I'm not sure whether my code is still extant, but it might be one of these:
    ftp://ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/malcolm/embeddedGofer.tar.Z
    ftp://ftp.cs.york.ac.uk/pub/malcolm/goferP.tar.Z

Regards,
    Malcolm