[Haskell] URLs in haskell module namespace

S. Alexander Jacobson alex at alexjacobson.com
Mon Mar 21 22:06:25 EST 2005

Lemmih,

The current Haskell/Cabal module and packaging system is substantially
annoying for the typical non-sysadmin end-user.  In particular, if
they move their code to another machine they have to do a bunch of
different administrivia including:

   1. knowing the source package for each module used in their code
      even if they didn't insall the packages in the first place i.e.
      import Foo.Bar just worked on my development machine.

   2. knowing the current location of those packages even if they
      didn't obtain them for installation on the original machine
      where they used them and aren't on the mailing list for them.

   3. going through the hassle of doing a "cabal-get install" for each
      of them once they have figured it all out.

I'd rather have a system that takes care of 1-3 for me and just
reports errors if particular modules are irretrievable.

That being said, Cabal definitely solves a lot of problems that my
original proposal left unaddressed (e.g. producing executables needed
to build modules, handling C code, versioning?).  Perhaps the correct
answer is to import Cabal packages rather than haskell source e.g.

   import http://package.org/package-1.0.cabal#Foo.Bar as Baz
   import http://package.org/package-2.0.cabal#Foo.Bar as Baz2
       --note use of HTTP fragment identifier for module name

And a big bonus here is we get a simple solution to the problem of
Haskell's global module namespace.  Now module namespace is local to
individual packages.

If cabal also has a "cabal-put package MyPackage http://myhost.com/dir"
then we have a really simple and beautiful system for sharing
libraries over the Internet as well!

If the change of import syntax is blessed by the powers that be, would
it be hard to adapt Cabal to work like this?

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com