[Haskell] Making the haskell.org website more open with a wiki? was Re: Making Haskell more open

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Fri Nov 11 11:02:52 EST 2005

Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at jeltsch.net> writes:

> Am Freitag, 11. November 2005 12:22 schrieb Udo Stenzel:
> > Seperation of article and discussion is a cultural, not a technical
> > problem.
>
> One thing I always disliked about the Haskell Wiki is that you often have a
> short "article" and then a lot of user comments.  What people searching for
> information on a certain topic mostly want is a consistent article describing
> the topic, not a text with a mix of pieces certain users threw in.

That's part of the goal of The Monad.Reader, but feel free to refactor Wiki
pages from ThreadMode into DocumentMode.

(see ThreadMode and DocumentMode on http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiModes )

> > What HaWiki needs is not yet another wiki engine
>
> I think, the discussion was not about basing the HaWiki on a different wiki
> engine but to create a new wiki which should be a replacement for the whole
> Haskell website.

If a wiki engine in Haskell is a good motivation, there's always Flippi.

My only worry with the current wiki is the licensing. There's no overall
license required for content contributed, so example code can't be directly
used in OSS or commercial projects. I'd like to freeze the wiki at some point
and create a new wiki instance with a sensible license, whether it be BSD3,
Creative Commons, Gnu FDL, or whatever fits.

Moving the existing website to a wiki will solve the problems of community
updating, searching, file attachments, and the like.

On the other hand, those same problems could also be solved by putting the
website into a darcs repository and allowing certain users to push changes.
Then anyone could send a patch to one of those certain users.
--
Shae Matijs Erisson - http://www.ScannedInAvian.com/ - Sockmonster once said:
You could switch out the unicycles for badgers, and the game would be the same.