[Haskell] Making Haskell more open

Wolfgang Jeltsch wolfgang at jeltsch.net
Sun Nov 13 11:46:09 EST 2005

Am Samstag, 12. November 2005 10:04 schrieb Gour:
> [...]

> I'd like that we keep the present css style of the site (color theme)
> which I find very nice and appealing,

The font size is way too small!

> [...]

> 	iii) forum
> 		pro)	- provides ability to have sticky posts for FAQ,
> 			howtos, etc.
> 			- searchable archives
> 			- one can always jump in the thread by replying
> 			  to appropriate post (even much later than
> 			  original post is posted)
> 			- ability to have email notification when some
> 			  replies are posted

		cons)
			- cumbersome usage
			- no ability to choose own communication software

> [...]

> The potential of newsgroup was also mentioned - creating of
> compl.lang.haskell, but I won't comment of it considering that the
> newsgroup cannot be one & all solution, and, otoh, does not, imho, provide
> any substantial advantage over the other three forms (we already have lists
> & irc, and forums come 'for free' with CMS).

As long as newsgroups are not substantially worse than the three other
communication forms, you should list them.  Otherwise you could also leave
out mailing lists or, ehm, forums with the same justification.

> [...]

> f) enhancing & opening GHC manual
>
> Besides my vote for simple authoring tool for working on GHC manual,
> Drupal offers so called 'Collaborative Book' (http://drupal.org/node/284)
> feature which can even export to DocBook XML in case we want to preserve
> its format.

The question is how the DocBook documents created by Drupal look.  You can
also export Word documents as HTML but as far as I know this is not
advisable.  The main advantage of DocBook is that it uses truely logical
markup.  Logical markup is something we should keep under all circumstances.

> [...]

By the way, is Drupal Free/Open Source Software?

> [...]

Best wishes,
Wolfgang