[Haskell] Evaluation in hugs X ghc(i)

Dusan Kolar kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Nov 14 02:55:42 EST 2005

Hello all,

  My question may appear to be absolutely FAQ, in the end.
Sorry for that if it's true.

  I've run some algorithms using ghc, ghci and hugs during
the weekend. Some of them required wast amount of memory.
 From the results obtained, it seems like hugs is more eager
on memory consumption or it evaluates with a different strategy
than the ghc(i) does. Is there any difference? If yes, where
can I read it? If not, is memory consumption of hugs given
"just" by the fact it uses spineless tagless G-machine and
not a code compiled to the binary of the target? If it is
the point, how can I change compilation to allocate as much
memory as I have effectively usable on my machine - I will
supply the number on cmnd line, but from certain limit above
no effect seems to be made ?

  Dusan

--

 Dusan Kolar            tel: +420 54 114 1238
 UIFS FIT VUT Brno      fax: +420 54 114 1270
 Bozetechova 2       e-mail: kolar at fit.vutbr.cz
 Brno 612 66
 Czech Republic