[Haskell] OCaml-intensive summer internships at trading firm

Yaron Minsky yminsky at janestcapital.com
Wed Oct 26 18:18:26 EDT 2005

Jane Street Capital (http://janestcapital.com) is a proprietary
trading company located in Manhattan.  We're looking for students
interested in internships for the summer of 2006.

Jane Street is an open and informal environment (you can wear shorts
and a t-shirt to the office), and the work is technically challenging,
including systems programming, machine learning, statistical analysis,
parallel processing, and anything that crosses our path that looks
useful.  One unusual attraction of the job is that the large majority of
our programming is done in OCaml.  Here's what we're looking for from
candidates:

 - A commitment to the practical. Both development and research are
   tightly integrated with our trading operation, and we work very
   hard to keep our work relevant. One of the big attractions of the
   job is the opportunity to apply serious ideas to real-world
   problems.

 - Great communication skills. We need people who can explain
   things clearly and cogently, who can read dense academic papers
   and write clear documentation.

 - Strong programming skills.  Most of our programming is
   in OCaml, so being a solid Caml hacker is a big plus.  Extra points
   for deep knowledge of OCaml internals and experience wrapping
   thorny libraries.  But we're also interested in great programmers
   who we are convinced will be able to pick up OCaml quickly, so
   anyone with high-level of proficiency with functional languages
   would be a good match.

 - Top-notch mathematical and analytic skills.  We want people who
   can solve difficult technical problems, and think clearly and
   mathematically about all sorts of problems.

 - Strong Unix/Linux skills --- We're looking for someone who knows
   their way around the standard Unix tools, can write makefiles,
   shell scripts, etc.  We're also very interested in people with
   serious systems administration and architecture experience.

Summer interns are paid quite well, and we can help out with housing
costs if you don't live nearby. If you're interested, please send a
cover-letter and resume to:

  yminsky at janestcapital.com

--
Yaron Minsky <yminsky at janestcapital.com>