[Haskell] [OT] xemacs (was: Re: emacs haskell mode)

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Mon Sep 5 19:48:37 EDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 06:53:21PM -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Hmm. I use font-lock, but I use xemacs (21.4). Maybe that's the cause
> > of the difference.
>
> IIRC XEmacs's support for syntax-table text-properties (and more
> specifically for font-lock-syntactic-keywords) has been generally fairly
> late.  I'd expect it to be fully working by now, but maybe only in 21.5.
>
> Try Emacs ;-)

I switched from emacs to xemacs because of gnuserv/gnuclient. As I
understand it, please correct me, but with xemacs "gnuclient" one can
attach a "frame" of a server xemacs process to the current terminal.
Emacs only supports "emacsclient" which allows you to open a file in a
remote server process, but not on the terminal which you run
"emacsclient" from, so it's not as useful. The difference means that
xemacs can simulate a fast-loading terminal editor, whereas emacs
cannot.

There are other problems with xemacs - the default syntax-coloring
colors are all mapped to "white" on the terminal, for instance, and
one has to manually reassign them to standard terminal colors in order
to get syntax-coloring to work. I would switch back to emacs if it
were not for the above difference.

Frederik

--
http://ofb.net/~frederik/