[Haskell] mini-announce: fast packed strings v0.1
Donald Bruce Stewart
dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Sep 12 00:13:24 EDT 2005
After some weeks of hacking, and after taking into consideration the
suggestions on this list, from darcs-devel and on #haskell, I've tagged
and released v0.1 of the FastPackedString library, FPS.
FPS provides mmapped and malloc'd packed strings, along with a list
interface to these strings. It lets you do extremely fast IO in Haskell;
in some cases, even faster than typical C implementations.
Some of the changes since the port from darcs include:
* Added a full List interface
* Full haddocks
* QuickCheck and HUnit tests
* Improved performance for many functions, after extensive profiling
* Now uses qualified names, e.g. P.length instead of lengthPS
* Type is now 'FastString', so as not to clash with the old 'PackedString'
* Some new constructors, particularly for Addr# and CStrings
Darcs: darcs get --partial http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~dons/code/fps
Feedback is very welcome, and encouraged.
-- Don Stewart
More information about the Haskell