[Haskell] haskell-in-a-box?

Jared Updike jupdike at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 11:23:22 EDT 2006

> And: has anyone already built a 'haskell-in-a-box' virtual machine?

Some are working on an all-Haskell-boots-from-scratch OS:
House (Haskell User's Operating System and Environment):

http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/

>From the page: "House  is a demo of software written in Haskell,
running in a standalone environment. It is a system than can serve as
a platform for exploring various ideas relating to low-level and
system-level programming in a high-level functional language. More
details are available in our ICFP 2005 paper: A Principled Approach to
Operating System Construction in Haskell."

Also, YHC is (in development) a new Haskell compiler based on nhc98
that aims to produce highly portable bytecode which can then be ported
to JVM, .NET, etc. and of course a C virtual machine:

http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/yhc/

  Jared.

--
http://www.updike.org/~jared/