[Haskell] QuickCheck revival and Cabal

Frederik Eaton frederik at a5.repetae.net
Tue Apr 11 13:48:08 EDT 2006

Hi,

Why not just call it, say, Test.QuickCheck2?

I think module names should reflect only their functionality. I don't
see how "External" or "Contrib" or "Chalmers" would say anything
useful about the functionality of the modules.

A while ago I sent a proposal for "package mounting", which I think
would let us avoid this whole issue:

  http://www.haskell.org//pipermail/libraries/2005-June/004009.html

I am opposed to a situation such as Java's, in which every module is
permanently fixed somewhere in a huge module hierarchy, for the
reasons I describe in the proposal (namely, in part because I don't
think that global-name-choosing should be such a fundamental part of
coding - as you said, it is a source of agony). The proposal was an
attempt to describe an alternative approach.

I think the ideal solution would be:

- Your code is released in a package with modules named "Batch",
"Poly", "Utils", etc., i.e. with no qualification.

- The package has a default mount point of Test.QuickCheck. If people
want the old version, then they can specify the old package instead of
the new package on the compiler/interpreter command line.

The response to my proposal was semi-positive, but I don't think any
work has gone towards implementing it (certainly not by myself).

Cheers,

Frederik

http://ofb.net/~frederik/