[Haskell] New monadic implementation of Control.Exception

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Mon Apr 24 22:28:42 EDT 2006

Hi -
Following indications in
http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2006-February/017547.html I've
wrapped all the functions in Control.Exception so that they can be used with
any monad constructed using the common state transformers and based
(ultimately) on IO.

I'd suggest something like this could be incorporated into Haskell' perhaps
as a replacement for Control.Exception.

This also relates to
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/haskell-prime/ticket/110 but I don't know
how to attach a file to a ticket therefore I've just enclosed it with this
email.

(In the discussion following Oleg's original post my experience implementing
the generalised exception functions showed that getUnliftIO :: m(m a -> IO
a) mentioned in a later post proved to be a red herring since StateT can't
support this operation yet it *can* support all the exception ops in a
sensible way.)

So far, I've only tested catch, catchJust, throwM using a (StateT s IO)
monad, so I can't be absolutely sure that I've got the semantics for the
other monads correct, but at least they all compile.... :-)

Regards, Brian.