[Haskell] Haskell XML

Albert Lai trebla at vex.net
Thu Aug 31 21:55:11 EDT 2006

Till Mossakowski <till at informatik.uni-bremen.de> writes:

> Could someone summarize the pros and cons of
> HXT versus HaXml versus HSX?

>From my perspective (therefore perhaps important but hardly
comprehensive), HXT vs HaXml:

HXT provides arrows.  The con is you have to learn arrows.  The pro is
the arrows provided have the same capability as monads of state and IO.

Dually, HaXml does not provide arrows or equivalent.  The provided
functions of type "Content -> [Content]" ("Content" is the node type)
are not very flexible or helpful if you want to thread a state through
a parse tree, e.g., a recent question in haskell-cafe on how to insert
random numbers as attribute values into a document using HaXml.

(I lied about the con of HXT.  You don't have to learn arrows if you
really resist --- monads of the same capability are provided too.)

I have no comment on HSX, and you already know the language vs library
contrast.