[Haskell] Re: page names on the new Haskell wiki

Ashley Yakeley ashley at semantic.org
Fri Jan 27 14:44:22 EST 2006

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the names of the pages of the new MediaWiki-driven Haskell wiki are often
> rather directory names than "article titles" as they are on Wikipedia.  For
> example, the page "Books and tutorials about Haskell" isn't named "Books and
> tutorials about Haskell" or "Books and tutorials" but just "Books".  Another
> example is the GHC documentation page which is named "GHC/Documentation".
> Here the slash is used to express a hierarchy as it's done in UNIX path
> names, for example.  But Wikipedia uses the slash just where it is used
> normally.  For example, the term "I/O" contains a slash and the Wikipedia
> article about I/O is named "I/O".

MediaWiki uses "/" to create hierarchy also, though Wikipedia happens to
discourage this use. If you go to "GHC/Documentation", you'll see a link
back to the parent "< GHC" near the top of the page. This is inserted by
the MediaWiki software, but only because the page "GHC" exists. You can
also create relative links, see the GHC page source for examples.

On the other hand, if someone were to create a page "I/O", it wouldn't
have a link back to "I" unless that page existed. So you can have it
either way.

> I propose that we stick to the Wikipedia convention and choose page names
> which are a short description of the page's topic in normal (English)
> language.  Remember, that the page name is not only part of the page's URL
> but also displayed as a title on the page and in the window's title bar.
>
> What do you think?

I don't mind people creating hierarchies such as Simon M's performance
resource. It may not be appropriate for a pure encyclopedia like
Wikipedia, but HaskellWiki will be replacing the haskell.org site
(shortly) and a more hierarchical structure may be appropriate for some
content.